Pages

Monday, October 14, 2019

A Thanksgiving Treat with John Fogerty

Stories about cute kittens are fun to write. Stories about how my grand dogs and this new grand kitty are getting along ~  also fun to write. (And the pictures are so much clearer!)  But, trust me, last evening was a real Thanksgiving treat! My sons bought me a ticket to John Fogerty’s 50th Tour at Roger’s Arena here in Vancouver. I haven’t been to a concert for many years, and definitely not a rock concert with my sons and their friends. The stadium was filled with many of us from the boomer population and a throng of younger enthusiasts (anyone under seven decades, I consider younger). John Fogerty, previously well known in Creedence Clearwater Revival and a self-professed proud American celebrated his musicality, his enthusiasm and his patriotism in this amazing evening, transporting us all to another time and place in musical history. Pre-show, a young woman in hippie garb complete with a circlet of flowers, set the mood while she danced up, down and around blowing iridescent bubbles over the audience. I’m having difficulty describing all the songs of the sixties, the history and songs from  CCR’s Woodstock experience, the scenic flower power backdrops or historical footage surrounding the music. The incredible power, versatility and musicality of the keyboardist, drummer, accompanying guitarists, saxophonist and vocalists! Cell phones in the air taking videos and pictures. Hands waving in the air, fingers in the V of peace symbols held high. From the ceiling, pink and purple paper flowers fluttering over the dancing, singing audience (I caught and stuffed some in my purse). John Fogerty gave us a steady, energetic performance flinging his music over, and generously sharing his microphone with a crowd that accompanied him, if not in our own musicality, in enthusiastic voice and number. Special mention of all his band and singers was punctuated by two special musicians ~ both of his sons. His son, Shane Fogerty, a talented and energetic guitarist, plays with his dad John’s band and his son Tyler Fogerty, rocked a singular vocal performance in his dad’s set.

All in all it was a wonderful, dancing, singing, joyful evening. Thank you, thank you my wonderful sons for this excellent experience in living and loving.

“I’m much more energetic now; you might say 
live performance is my mission.”
~ John Fogerty

No comments: