Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

What Can I Say?

What can I say about gratitude at the end of this Thanksgiving weekend? It is not that I can forget about being grateful for the rest of the year now. I’ve ‘done’ being grateful now, have done my job and can go on my way to the rest of my life? No. Definitely not. Thanksgiving weekend, despite its historically engineered roots, has become so much more for many of us. It’s like an ‘awareness weekend’ when, even if it’s spend alone, the focus is on gratitude. That feeling of thankfulness for whatever is in our lives. It can be very tough to be grateful if life situations are, quite frankly, horrible. I do remember a man I cared for many years ago who had severe, end stage ALS. He could only breathe as long as the electric tilt table he was on was teetering his breath in and out. I do not remember his name, only his smile and the welcome that he gave to everyone ~ friends, staff, family ~ each time someone came into his room. He shared his strength and wisdom with us all with gentleness and with gratitude. Gratitude for what he had in the present moment. He is only one of the people that are examples to me in my life that have showed me a daily practice of gratitude. Thanksgiving weekend gives us all an opportunity to gather together to share with each other. Of course, in my sons homes that sharing includes delicious, family favourite foods around a dinner table with friends and family. Although my youngest son is the expert turkey chef, we all in our various ways prepare accompanying foods, set the table, or provide the ambience of family. I say 'ambience of family' because, around the table last evening, we were all family in spirit. 

When we come away from this time of board games, walks with the dogs and delicious food, we are full. Full of turkey and stuffing, gravy and cabbage rolls, Brussel sprouts and Greek salad, breads and tarts, a variety of tasty beverages. More importantly, full of gratitude and the brilliance of human kindness. (All underscored by the patience of our pets, who shared turkey bites and were very grateful.) I’ll not expect that I won’t have days or maybe only moments when I pout or whine, but I have learned to take a deep breath (or more than one deep breath) and be grateful for what is.

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember 
that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.”
~ Epicurus

No comments: