Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Bird Watch

There really are a couple of birds inside those branches!
Numerous attempts this morning to get a photo of either the House Wrens or the hummingbirds that frequent this lovely bush, I decided it had become too big a challenge. They are all so very quick and are camouflaged so well. Only by movement do I see them. For example, just now as I write this one of the wrens went inside the nest, pouching out the very flexible sides. Interior work has begun. I’ve seen this activity several times as I’ve been here at my desk. The nest is very secure, even the breezes haven’t shifted it. So, due to my lack of success, I’ve added a short poem I wrote earlier today for distancing family and friends of mine:

An iridescent hummingbird
zooms and sips
shaded fuchsia flowers.

 “There is unreasonable joy to be had from the observation of 
small birds going about their bright, oblivious business.”
~ Grant Hutchison,  The Complete Lachlan

No comments: