Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Still Unknown but......

Looks in the centre - doesn't look like much of a nest but
has been very carefully put together.
Hello everyone. Yesterday I opened my post with ‘I’m not going to sugar coat this. I’m scared.’ Today, I’m still not going in for sugar coating. So, how can a person go from being scared to being calm. By the way, as I write this at my desk, I can see a tiny little wren or chick-a-dee building its nest. Two  of them have been flitting about in the flowers all morning. I saw them from my bedroom window and now from my office window. I did see what looked like a little nest but couldn’t be certain. One of them seems to be having some difficulty fitting in some piece of paper or plastic but just keeps working away. Anyway, back to writing this post. How can a mood that seems so stuck in the mud, be lifted away? (The little piece of paper or plastic has been tucked under the bottom of the nest. A nest only a little bigger than a large egg).

I know, from past experience, that a ‘stuck in the mud’ mood isn’t going anywhere if I try to force it. Doesn’t work. Anxiety and any fear of the unknown does literally interfere with our sleep ~ getting to sleep, staying asleep and sometimes sluggish sleep. While sorely tempted to pull a blanket over my head and turn away from the world, I knew, also from previous experience, that would have been very counterproductive. Keeping moving, doing the next right thing. In this case it involved food. Not eating ~ well, eating was involved ~ but cleaning my refrigerator. After all, a cinnamon bun couldn’t be put back in a clean fridge! All shiny and quite gorgeous, I know that my food and thus myself, is cared for. 

The final blow to that ‘stuck in the mud’ mood was something I learned a very long time ago. Of all the self help books, daily reading books and just books I have read this story has created a ledge for me. A seat and message I can depend on regardless of the situation. From the AlAnon One Day at a Time daily reading book for May 3, this quotation is from the special part of that page:

“…..a story of an Englishwoman at the time of the blitz in the Second World War. Her husband had met sudden death,……………My mother taught me, when I was a little girl, that when anything very dreadful happens, I must think of what I would be doing if it had not happened and then do that.”

After that, so much more can be done. Like watching a little bird build a nest and finding joy and curiosity in their fluttering work, walking in the sunshine, staying connected in this crazy time of disconnection.… Let life be as life is and find that same joy, ordinariness and curiosity that still exists.

“I must think of what I would be doing if 
it had not happened and then do that.”
~ One Day at a Time, May 3rd

No comments: