Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Feeling Overwhelmed at Meal Time?

Good afternoon everyone! Spring has finally sprung on this 19th day of March. For a moment I was confused, but in conversation with my sister in Alberta. (social distance!) she reminded me that a Leap Year changes things. As if we’re not in the middle of a million, thousand changes right now! 

Anyway that brings me to a far more important issue. Lunch. Here at my desk. It’s rather strange combination of breakfast food (grapefruit and toast) and lunch or dinner food (chili with salmon). The glass of milk can be seen at anytime of day or night. Just fits wherever anyone wants it to fit. By the way, I had gotten some homemade rhubarb jam out of the fridge for my toast. It is now slathered on my toast and is quite delicious. 

In this pandemic situation, there’s been hoarding and really some pretty unfair practices with folks. I will say that if I am feeling anxious about all the what if’s, then I’m not the only one. Sometimes the hoarding will be about not being safe and fed. Another concern that I have is that some anxieties go right to the appetite and not in an overeating sort of way. Sometimes, eating regularly is the farthest thing from someones mind. Or maybe just the work of getting even a small lunch together is too much. Or, another issue - chocolate and bags of chips. While that can be great comfort, it pales beside real comfort food.

I am used to cooking and making up easy to manage dishes. I’ve done that most of my life. Buying my meals at work was costing too much money and didn’t taste as good as homemade, so I developed that practice. Our parents, in my childhood home, had taught us the skills to make the most of our food. Not everyone has had such a beautiful and similar experience. Today it is more important that ever. Not only does preparing food in advance make any meal time easier, any cooking spreads delicious aromas through the house. 

Rely on cook books (I have more than I need), google, You-tube and anything your grandparents or parents may have told you. Enjoy this part of the journey that none of us asked for. Food doesn’t have to be fancy or necessarily even delicious ~ I’m not pleased with the chili with salmon ~ just doesn’t seem right without ground beef. Yams on the other hand in chili are wonderful.

Keep hydrated, (Sorry Texas ~ I put all kinds of things in my chili.) eating meals ~ small and frequent can be better that three squares. Stay well out there!

“Food is everything we are. It’s an extension of nationalist feeling, 
ethnic feeling, your personal history, your province, your region, 
your tribe, your grandma. It’s inseparable from those from the get-go.”
~ Anthony Bourdain

Today's Lunch Menu:
Chili - made two weeks ago with canned beans, tomatoes, corn and salmon. Kept in the freezer in separate containers.
Bread - homemade - kept in the refrigerator so I don't eat it all up!
Grapefruit - kept cut up and stored in the refrigerator
Rhubarb jam (not in the photo) - made with rhubarb last fall.
Milk - I did not milk the cow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

well it is clear to me that you have no problem being a creative cook