Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2021

Just Chillin'!

Some would call me crazy. Walking to the grocery store and pharmacy when it was somewhere below -20 Centigrade, with a wind. I was even questioning my sanity, but the pharmacy was a must and of course while there, a couple of grocery items and some Christmas shopping. All finished I re-bundled myself, adjusted my back pack and stepped outside. Normal parking lot. Cars, pickups, a taxi or two, customers to-ing and fro-ing with shopping cars across the snowy, icy asphalt. And a rhythmic thump. Was I hearing things? I really could hear it. He wouldn’t. Would he? I took a few more steps. Guitar and a song. The kind of song you hear in the summer time when the sun is hot and the wind is merely a breeze. (I would love to tell you what song it was ~ a very familiar one ~ but the wind has blown it away from my mind.)


This young man, I first heard in the summer time. Since then in the mall where I shop and in all kinds of weather. Sheltered from the rain and winds, protected from the heat of the sun with a steady stream of very appreciative listeners. But there he was, in freezing cold and in his usual spot, playing his guitar, guitar case open on the side walk to receive donations. All bundled up, still singing and always with a smile. 


“Winter forms our character and brings out our best.”

~ Tom Allen

 

No comments: