Pages

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Chapter Two, Episode 156 - Two Men Talking - Situationally Theirs

Distractions come in my way all the time. Just when I think things are going the way I want them, something changes. Em is my biggest distraction. I don’t know if I’m even making sense, Matt. I just feel lost.” Jeremy didn’t really know Matt Hamilton all that well but he had no one else to turn to. After Emelina had walked away from him the night before, he just sat and played the scene in his head like it was a movie. She came in all excited about being a farmer. He exploded at her. She said she should go and just left. Alone, he didn’t know what to do. An experienced doctor, successful in his career, kind to his patients but Em walked away. He finally called Matt when he couldn’t think anymore.


Matt knew he was on shaky ground. He suspected Emelina would have gone to Dez right away. Was he about to step into something sticky and smelly? But he knew what it was like to have someone walk out of his life. His was different though, at least he thought so. “Let’s meet for coffee. I haven’t had supper yet. You eaten anything?” Jeremy had to think a minute. “I don’t think so. I mean I don’t think I’ve eaten for hours. I guess I am hungry.” 


~~~~~


They met at a Denny’s, shook hands and went to a booth at the back. Matt hadn’t eaten all day and ordered the Hungry Man’s Breakfast, coffee, orange juice and a big stack of toast. Jeremy, his stomach growling since he had been reminded that he hadn’t eaten, ordered chilli, a Monterey sandwich and a glass of milk. The booth was silent while the two men ate their meals.

Matt wiped his plate with a piece of his toast. Finished he sat back and beckoned the waiter for more coffee. “Shouldn’t have more coffee this late, but it’s been a long day. What about you?” 


“It started out long and just got longer, Matt. I’m getting too old for the hospital work and then this trouble with Em.” Jeremy finished his sandwich, scraped his chilli bowl clean and drained the milk. When the waiter came to the table with coffee he held out his empty mug to her. “Thanks. Just the cream - no sugar.”


~~~~~


“I think I’ve got this all sorted out, Matt. You’re a good listener.” The two men were in the cool night air. “Any time, Jeremy. You’ll do just fine, you and Em. Glad I could help out.” He turned to his pickup, stopped and said “Say, why don’t you come out to the orchard tomorrow. I could use a hand if you’re not doing anything,”


“I’m going to call Em tonight and I’ll let you know.” 


“Life is travelled at a pace one decides for themselves.”

~ Chandra Sekhar, Failure Race: A story never told before


No comments: