Pages

Monday, October 2, 2023

Permission Granted ~ 3

Dedication to a project is always hard won. Throughout life, any project must have a purpose. That may only be my opinion, however I’ve learned it to be true for me. The purpose must also be something that fits with society, community, family. Something or someone outside of myself. I do get caught up in trying to see where a project fits, thinking too much about the why’s. Or maybe, I just don’t want to do the work. Writing is a good example of both permission for a purpose or permission to do anything else but write. My present, and very long time, writing project is about my experience with having very stable epilepsy. Writing down all the thousands of words over many years has been easy, but recently was becoming boring. Nothing more to say. Nothing to see here. 


Yet I joined two more writing groups, began to drop some social activities, replaced those with reading and wondered what I was doing. I write both in a journal and on my laptop. The only injuries I receive from this sedentary sport of the pen is stiffness from sitting too long! Dedication to this next part of my project is a tough one. Clarifying, organizing, and putting all those words to bed. It’s like herding cats! However, I work at putting aside all the excuses to re-write one more page, revise one more sentence, cut one more paragraph without waiting for permission.


“Write. Rewrite.When not writing or rewriting, read. I know of no shortcuts.”

~ Larry L. King, author

January 1929 - December 2012


 

1 comment:

Connie Frey said...

Might we agree on the expression "dedication is what dedication does"? With that in mind, I want to celebrate your robust writing of "Standing still slowly...," Susan, for these years. I dropped by today and delight in getting to witness self-inquiry about your imminent focus and momentum! Write on! Warmest creativity wishes, always.