Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2024

On an Afternoon Walk ~ A Snow Day

Unusually calm, snow flaked from the sky all day. The wind did slip around corners, and down alleys but was not what I expected from the forecasts. Maybe tonight will break the calm I felt this afternoon. Sunday afternoons I’m usually at Queen City Writers at the bookstore, a 10 minute walk from home, but had passed and planned to just stay in. I did use the time to work on my writing project, but by late afternoon I was feeling in need of fresh air and exercise. Oh, and I was out of coffee! So, bundled up, I went to the grocery store. The snow, soft and deep, was layered with the footprints of other walkers. Some sidewalks had been cleared; one man still out with his snow blower. Snow had gathered on stairways, the notches of trees, roof tops, parked cars ~ anything in its path. Roads were criss crossed with tire tracks. I pass this stylish bench often when out walking. It is even more attractive with its marshmallow topping. The quality of the city scene, now soft and white, had changed in just a few hours. Apparently there is more to come!


“A snow day literally and figuratively falls from the sky, 

unbidden, and seems like a thing of wonder.”

~ Susan Orlean, author

No comments: