Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Life changes, epilepsy does not

The first ten years with epilepsy, rocky and uncertain, taught me that I really wasn't geared up for scrabbling through such a rocky terrain and really didn't want much rocky terrain to travel anyway.

The next ten years, while rocky in many other ways, not crowded and crunched by grand Mal seizures, allowed me to awaken hidden dreams for travel with my career.

Opportunity arose - Carpe diem!
My young adult sons began choosing their own paths. So, sadly, but with excitement, I separated from
    family
    roots and
    community
to take a giant leap to another country for career advancement.

Comfortable with managing my epilepsy, I had carefully packed a 3 month supply of pills, found a physician as soon as I settled, and started a wonderful and rewarding adventure. Thirty-nine years old and taking flight like a much younger adult!! What fun! The first time I had lived completely alone! Exciting goals and challenges to achieve.

******

I woke up.
Nubbly carpet met my palms - where am I?
That's odd....I felt like I had a good sleep.
Puzzled I turned my head, 
mmmm.. my tongue is sore.
I have my uniform on!
I'm late for work.....

Leaping to my feet, I drove to work.
My new boss had someone drive me home.
I have no memory of 
~ that drive home,
   ~ who drove me home,
      ~ how long I slept,
        ~ what day I returned to work.

What had I done wrong?!
Who do I turn to?
The sun so bright and the sky so beautifully blue............

Brand new friends, people I barely knew, helped me to sort it all out while I learned more about living with epilepsy.

Taking new directions in life is a good thing.
Letting go too fast of my anchors in 
friends, family, community 
created unneeded stress ~ fear ~ nervousness ~ high elation
setting me up for crisis that I may not be able to manage.

Epilepsy does not respond well to lack of planning.

So I planted my garden in the sun. 
My life grew strong.

"The horror of that moment," the King
went on, "I shall never forget"
“You, will though," the Queen said, "if
 you don't make a memorandum of it.”
Lewis Carroll

Author's note: Edited January 28, 2024

No comments: