Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Homeward bound....~ 1


...after eleven years adventuring in another land,
establishing a new direction in my nursing career,
advancing my education in Addictions care,
learning in my forties the lessons I missed in my twenties.

As much as I loved this
new little corner of the world,
I was ready to go home.

I carefully planned this return move and, for a year,
updated my resume,
did job searches,
housing searches
moving costs
time lines
all while conscious of epilepsy 
and the emotional and physical upheaval
after my move eleven years earlier.

Once more, I packed my pills
got out my maps and
and set my course for a new part of Canada
to another new city 
this time half way between my sons on the west coast
and the rest of my family in two prairie provinces
My rest stops were planned,
driving day ending at supper time, 
then a good night's sleep

With bittersweet sadness, 
I let go of my adopted community 
and the very close friendships that still last
(the electronic age is a wonderful age to be in!) 

In my new city
I established a new community 
a new physician
new friends with
family there within months:
a sister infrequently seen in the intervening years,
a niece and her family relocated shortly thereafter.
I knew things would be ok.

*****
Epilepsy does not respect what I think 
when there are any changes not accounted for.
Four grand mal seizures in two months 
ushered in the new millenium - 
after eleven years of being free of grand mal seizures!

I did not understand....I had been so careful.
What had I missed?
Once more fear, and panic, threatened to overwhelm me.
Reviewing my move after the first of the four seizures:
Regular sleep - check
Minimize stress- check
Eat regularly - check
Medication - check

Oops....my pills, the new regime I had been on for a year
except for.........      two differences:
One - a treatment I received monthly:
Frantic, I searched in vain for a physician to provide the same treatment.
Two - the effects of alcohol
A potential to lower the brain's seizure threshold.  I had not been around much alcohol while away.
With family a very small drink now and then....that shouldn't hurt...however for me it did.
Lessons learned!

Employment at the hospital soon shifted to another more rewarding position.
Excited and challenged my new addictions nursing education was in demand,
along with more regular hours and a few different, and unknown, stresses.
My return home settled into work and travel.  

For the lessons learned, a new file folder was born:
Epilepsy Relocation Folder
1. know the availability of 
    specific medications
    physicians 
    pharmacies.
2. avoid drinking alcohol.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering. 
For he is both the marble and the sculptor.”
 ~ Alexis Carrell

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have done the equivalent of climbing Everest. I am in awe.

Julie.

Janet said...

This is another very wonderful post! -Including the boots!

Susan Ward said...

Thank you Julie

Susan Ward said...

Thank you Jan, I have waited a couple of year to use that photo!