Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hope and Wisdom...

....sit brightly on my desk, 
glittering beads and shells
spilling around them,
reminding me daily that
when I choose,
they are always mine.

Epilepsy is always with me.
I carry it gently in my brain.

Epilepsy holds not promises of 
riches, fame or good fortune.

Epilepsy's promises to me are of loud gasping for air, broken teeth, and confusion.

Active epilepsy has no hope.
Active epilepsy has no wisdom.

But ~ epilepsy's value is in lessons learned
from churning turmoil 
thrown mercilessly through and around me.

Hope is mine for the taking.
Hope that today will be another seizure free day.

Wisdom is mine to learn.
Wisdom will show me how 
to make and keep promises to myself and others

I may never be rich or famous but 
wisdom and hope show me much good fortune.

My promise to myself each day is that
I will be kind to myself and those around me.
To the best of my ability,
I will not allow epilepsy to visit 
violence, injury or confusion upon me or thee.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~ Theodore Roosevelt   

Author's note: Edited January 28, 2024                                                  

1 comment:

Kate Hersberger Moving forward Looking for the Joy! said...

Such eloquence and again words we all can use to move through difficulties and life itself.