Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Remembrance Day 2014

Just before writing this, I watched and listened to Canada’s Soldier, a CBC documentary hosted by Peter Mansbridge. This powerful documentary retraces the experiences of soldiers in the first World War through letters, graffiti on the walls of tunnels in France and the words of family of soldiers in that awful war of 1914 - 1918.

Earlier I watched the Remembrance Day ceremony at the National War Memorial in Ottawa. After the ceremonies of laying wreaths, a rededication of the War Memorial by Princess Anne, and all the ceremony of this day, the march past began. At other Remembrance Day services, in other towns or cities and in other years, the march past has never failed to bring a tear to my eye. My heart feels full and proud. Proud of the continued service of the many men and women that are served their countries in so many capacities. 

I do not believe that war is necessary nor does it appear to be effective. I have no other solutions to the many issues that our world faces globally. What I do know is that the vitality of many young men and women was destroyed completely. For many others their vitality in the face of returning home from battlefields far away is shrunken and distorted. This is where I see that war is the most ineffective, and this is also the place that I see the most need for honouring all of our soldiers.

Ordinarily on this second Tuesday of the month, I would be writing a book review. Because of living in a democratic country, I can attend book groups - and read the books of my choice. Last night, I attended a Mayoralty Debate at Our Place, a community center for the homeless population. Both the debate and the voice given to the homeless within that debate is also a result of freedoms won by the lives and psyches of soldiers.

So my deepest thanks go to all soldiers that have created this freedom for us. 

“War is the greatest evil Satan has invented to corrupt our hearts and souls. 
We should honour our soldiers, but we should never honour war.”
~ Dean Hughes, Far From Home

No comments: