Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2014

An Evening at the Ballet

Last evening was filled with the vitality of dance. Graceful, beautiful poise and precision flowed from the stage to a packed house audience at the Royal Theatre at 805 Broughton St. here in Victoria. Walking to the theatre with friends in an unusual, for Victoria, crisp cold of early winter, the four of us joined throngs of theatre goers to see the Ballet Boyz. Ballet Boyz is a dance troupe from the U.K. whose only stop in Canada was in Victoria for two nights - Nov. 14 and 15. Formed from ten men, each one an experienced ballet artist, this dance troupe is internationally known and travels extensively. A first for me, this performance was not the delicate ballet I have been exposed to on television. For me, attending any ballet is outside of my frame of reference, my career having consumed most of my life. Attending this remarkable performance was a conscious move to see a part of life outside of that career world. Not only was I not disappointed, but I learned more about myself as an individual outside of nursing and the work world.

“Dancing is creating a sculpture that is visible only for a moment.”
~ Erol Ozan

No comments: