Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

With Only Minutes

With hesitation and not a 
little annoyance I could see 
a middle aged man stop on 
the very sidewalk I needed 

to get to my appointment. He had 
stopped, looking intently 
at his cell phone. A business call perhaps. None of my business, 

except that he blocked my way. 

I had my cane, and could have 

tried to move him out of the way, 

but I’m not a violent person. 


And he was bigger and younger than me. 

Deciding to take the pathway on the neighbouring 

property that connected to my destination, 

I was greeted by these gorgeous prairie lilies 


nestled in the greenery. I must have done a little 

stop - start - stop as I only had minutes to spare. 

But the beautiful orange wings of prairie lilies 

have always captured my heart and my imagination. 


After all what could happen ~ would I be shown 

the door before I even got there? Not likely. 

I just don’t like to be late. I risked it anyway 

when these beloved prairie lilies shone on my path.


“People from a planet without flowers would think we must be

 mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us.”

~ Iris Murdoch

No comments: