Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Being the Boss

‘If I wasn’t afraid, I’d do it anyway.’ A piece of wisdom I heard from a wise woman, or a six year old, or maybe an ancient scribe ~ actually I read it in a book. Fear is a funny thing when it comes to voice. Vocal cords seize up, the pit of my stomach is lined with grit and gunk, and I want to freeze in place until a still small voice whispers to me ‘if you weren’t afraid, would you do it anyway?’ That question, like a cat that curls around my leg and purrs, is soft and in the way. So I get up, 

get it a treat and try to answer the question. 

Make a decision. Do I want the cat or not?

If I do want it ~ the cat, that is ~ am I willing 

to feed it? Gentle it and be the boss of my fear? 


“Never be afraid to sit a while and think.”

~ Lorraine Hansberry, American playwright, 

(May 1930- January 1965)

No comments: