Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2024

Nesting

Tensions that fly into the back of my brain wing their way down to my heart and my belly 


where the small brown birds have built their nests. Nests built from the scattered debris of a 


day, or maybe a week or even longer. Removing the little flock of birds seems cruel when 


they’ve become so comfortable. 

But they are messy ~ dropping their feathers and never 


cleaning out their nests. I'm sorry to see 

them go because they are good company, 

even if they can't sing. So with each breath, 


one of them flies away till I am left empty. 

Then I'll open the space to robins and canaries 

and interview them for their songs.


“I feel empty, not because of sadness, but because 

of relief, all the tension flowing out of me.”

~ Veronica Roth, novelist

No comments: