Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chocolate and Butter...

Since at least 500 B.C.,
dietary changes have been
posited as a treatment for epilepsy.

With the advent of anticonvulsant drugs, diet was discounted and disputed,
and so passed out of favour.

Many centuries later,
favor was restored, but reservedly so, with
The Ketogenic Diet 
designed by physicians in the 1920's
not curative,
but supportive.

I'll not attempt to explain here
this complex and medically monitored diet.
Used mostly for children, The Ketogenic Diet is
often effective in aiding control of seizures.

Researchers with their spy glasses 
consider benefits for
adults who carry this disorder.

For many years, I have
avoided many low-fat products, 
most no fat products.
Eating regularly, 
moderately and with 
otherwise balanced meals
has been much more comfortable.
Has it made a difference for epilepsy management in my life?
I believe it has ~ but have no proof ~ but how I feel.
    
(It is good reason to eat chocolate and real butter!)

Feed sparingly and defy the physician.
~ James Howell

2 comments:

Kate Hersberger Moving forward Looking for the Joy! said...

Sue, With March drawing to a close I wonder if you have another topic in mind or if you will 'freestyle' again?

Either way, I love your posts and have loved your gentle, real, and educated look at your journey with Epilepsy.

Thank you

Susan Ward said...

Thank you Kate!
I have not thought of another topic yet. I am going to see Larry and Dana mid April so it may have something to do with travel.
xo