Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Depression and Epilepsy

Depression and epilepsy may be separate or together.
Researchers peer about for a link.

Post-ictal: a phase to follow a seizure ~ an altered state of consciousness lasting a few minutes or much longer ~ for me, up to a day and into the next.

Besides confusion:
Incredibly sad and wildly erratic emotions
Exhibited outwardly?
Definitely occurring inwardly.

The following poem was written many years from my last seizure.
Consistent with my feelings following seizures, I wonder ~  
Do I share such feelings with others?

Reality Check

I have crept up to the edge.
Many years of comfortable struggle,
world looking ordered and right,
listening to words
harmonious, pleasing to the ear.

Looking past facades,
I see willing individuals racing from micro-systems of homes
Entering society’s churning, frightening macro systems.
Hearing past the Musak
Words and actions out of sync
Awareness of this reality frightens me
Constrictions
Regulations
Responsibilities!!

Rose–coloured glasses slip and fall off.
Images ~ blurry, yet very real,
I feel
paralyzed 
afraid to move
right or left
forward or back
Still afraid of other’s reactions to and around me.
I want to express myself differently than the ‘system’ will allow me.
How do I do that and feel safe?
How do I do that and be effective in and believe in 
my own life?
How do I do that and be effective in and believe in
the lives of others?
I stand still slowly, looking in all directions,
try to move slowly.
Cautiously estimating my next action.

My patience with the slowness of ‘the process’ wearing thin.

Seeing that I am here
all else is out there, over there
untouched by me until
I feel courageous enough to 
touch
decide
act
move forward

No longer living at the base of a storm where all is chaos and destruction
Now in the Eye where all is calm
movement no longer dependent on the chaos of others.
New time to think before acting
Movement in sync with a Higher System.

Susan Ward
Nov.2006

"The soul would have no rainbow 
had the eyes no tears." 
 ~ John Vance Cheney

4 comments:

Kate Hersberger Moving forward Looking for the Joy! said...

So Beautiful Sue.

Susan Ward said...

Thank you Kate.

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful for you (and for me) that you have the words - wonderful words - to express the anxieties and frustrations that come with epilepsy. They surely help others who live with the condition and inform those of us who don't. You are an inspiration. Aussies would say 'Onya Sue' and Kiwis might say 'Sweet as!"

J. xx

Susan Ward said...

You are so very kind and so very appreciated.
Thank you.