Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Social graces and pretty glasses...

Sunday dinners and Friday night bridge club

Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter

Blossom Time china and silver cutlery for dinners
Beautiful crystal glasses for fancy drinks on bridge club nights

As a child, it was fun and magical for me to set the table for such festivities
Now I get to eat off of those same china plates everyday if I want to!

Seizure disorders and alcohol do not mix well.
The effect is not immediate so it took me a while to connect the two.
Risking a grand mal seizure to find out how much is safe is not especially wise!

So, once epilepsy intruded on my life and the life of my family
I decided to avoid alcoholic beverages
peer pressure
feeling different at a social gathering
feeling left out.

They all added up to feeling
angry at being pushed into a social corner
disappointed when handed a coke in a water glass.

Taking medication is expected -   a private affair.
The offer of a refreshment, often wine, also expected - a social affair.

The serenity prayer says: 'to have the courage to change the things you can'

I can't change the fact that I have epilepsy
I could try to change feeling 
different
left out.

Bucking peer pressure is like trying to catch a bubble
It keeps getting away and popping up somewhere else.
Each time in a different gathering or setting.

I have so enjoyed the taste of 
wines
liquers
hot toddies
brandies

Epilepsy meant  no beverage with alcohol.
Thus -  no pretty, graceful stemmed glass
  
Not to mention less than festive beverages like
water
fruit juice
coke or pepsi

But I made it my mission to 
ask for a wine glass - a pretty glass
find drinks like sparkling apple or elderberry beverages

In the beginning, it was awkward, to have my difference on display
But....
I didn't ask for epilepsy
I did learn the courage to ask for a pretty glass
and the thrill of finding my own beverage.

Most of my friends and family 
have been very accommodating
(Thanks for the peach bubbly at Jon's grad, Jay.)
Some surprise, possibly wondering, at my request for 'a pretty glass please'.

But now, when I set my own table 
all the wine glasses are the same
it is only what is in them that is different

A tiny detail
but I do like the pretty glasses
that decorate my difference in normalcy

Hmmm....That's kind of like people ~
what we carry inside of us makes the difference

Many of our fears are tissue-paper-
thin, and a single courageous step 
would carry us clear through them.
- Brendan Francis

1 comment:

Janet said...

Sue, you have taken that "...single courageous step" and multiplied it beyond measure. :)
Good wishes St. Patrick must be smiling upon you with this poem and photo today.
Janet