Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Questions about Drug shortages...

...Pharmacist:   "We can only get you a one week's supply.  

Dilantin is on back order."                        

Susan:  "Pardon me?!  I've been getting a regular supply of Dilantin for over forty years. How soon will you be getting it in?"

Pharmacist: "We're not sure. I hope this won't inconvenience you."

Occassional drug shortages at work in the hospital in the last year ~ awkward for patient care but it never occurred to me that my personal life could be affected.

What if shortages continue?
What if pharmaceutical companies decide 
that phenytoin (Dilantin) is past it's prime?
What if I wasn't told in time for a switch to 
a different anticonvulsant?

Would a change in medications precipitate a seizure
while therapeutic blood levels were established?

This.. had.. never... ever happened before.

Recent news reports filled with me panic ~
more drug shortages ~ 
fortunately phenytoin has yet to be mentioned.

But what if it was?

My career.
My independence.
   
How quickly would they vanish?
What would I find to replace them with?

Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, 
but only saps today of its strength.”
- A. J. Cronin

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You absolutely do not need this worry.

J.

Janet said...

I wish for you that this will never become a reality!
Janet

Susan Ward said...

It plays in the back of my mind from time to time, but I'm not giving it much 'floor space'.
Thanks.

Susan Ward said...

This only almost occurred about 6 months ago. Hope it does not again!
Thanks Janet