Pages

Thursday, March 16, 2017

I Know Why

How do I voice the joy and gratitude for a career so filled with stress and strife? From simple alcohol withdrawal management ~ predictable and relatively straight forward ~ to the incredibly difficult withdrawal from all the opiate drugs on the market this nursing specialty has become incredibly challenging. ‘Drug abuse’ suggests a desire to get high, when the real desire becomes a desire to survive. When survival is challenged by the pain killer, the party drug, the cool drug there is only one way to survive. Stop using. Stop using means going through the pain of withdrawal. When it comes to the opiate:  heroin, oxycodone, morphine, fentanyl and carfentanil and so very many others, this withdrawal is literally full of pain. Too many people believe and say it is deserved. I watch every day what that pain is like and no one…….no one…..deserves that pain. With each drug that is developed in the pharmaceutical world, with good intention, the focus is more acute. 

The unfortunate part of this story is that the withdrawal from that drug becomes much more acute. Incredibly exquisite anxiety that prevents rational thought or reactions. The pain is not just emotional, the pain is also in each muscle of the body. Each and every muscle. Cold, deep bone cold flashed away by perspiration soaking sheets and pyjamas to be replaced by bone cold.  Lights and noises like laser-daggers preventing sleep from coming or staying. Brain chemistry gone awry while this great organ of our body goes through these changes and creates these pains. Fortunately not all experience this type of severity, but each drug has different intensities, and each human being comes to us with their own differences and abilities.

To shepherd a man or woman of any age through those days of this pain, supporting them, caring for them and reminding them of their goal is one of the most rewarding things I have experienced. Restoring balance so folks can walk on their own, engage with life and family once more and express their gratitude opens a warm spot in my heart and I know why I remain in this nursing specialty.

Am I angry that the drugs are out there? That dealers keep dealing? That our health care medicines, therapeutic for some, are deadly and can kill others? Am I angry that there is such a thing as addiction? Many times I am, but my anger will not restore their lives. My anger only gives me energy to continue this important work. My anger and angst soften when I receive a gentle touch on my shoulder and a sincere and heartfelt thank you. It is then that I really know why I do this work.

“We are all here to be a service to those who can’t be a service to themselves. 
We can give people hope and more reasons for being human.”
Dionne Warwick

Author's note: Edited February 05, 2024

No comments: