Pages

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Mystery Solved

Mystery Solved

“Why are you acting so mysterious?”

“What makes you think I’m acting?”

“You just don’t tell me anything. That damn phone rings and you bolt up and just leave the house. Why can’t you tell me where you’re going?”

The house was silent, empty. The only sound was rain spattering against the kitchen window. Randi was frightened. Was Ryan having an affair? She hadn’t found any strange notes. The credit card bills were ordinary. No lipstick on collars. What was going on? Randi and Ryan. The perfect couple. But now everything was off kilter, off balance in a marriage that had been solid and dependable for six years. Standing at the stove, the whisk she held was still, hovering above the gently bubbling gravy. Tears threatened to fall. Randi didn’t hear the door. Even so, she turned. Ryan stood quietly, waiting for her to notice his return. His eyes smiled before his handsome face smiled. Reaching out, he gently took the whisk from her white knuckles. 

“Where have you been going? I can’t stand this any longer. I know I haven’t done anything to chase you away - have I?”

“Now I can tell you. There is good news. Remember the adoption that was denied. I have been meeting with a lawyer and ……..’ just then the doorbell rang ‘…….and we now have our baby.” A newborn wail split the tension. “The social worker is here with our new family member. I love you so very much. We can now be the parents we always wanted to be.”

“What it’s like to be a parent: It’s one of the hardest things you’ll ever do 
but in exchange it teaches you the meaning of unconditional love.”
~ Nicholas Sparks,  The Wedding

*Opening first line from writingexercises.co.uk

No comments: