Pages

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

A Good Flight

Riding back to Victoria this afternoon I had opportunity to reflect on this last four days. The plane was full. I had the questionable good fortune to have a center seat, when I usually prefer to sit by a window. My usual nap, leaning against the wall of the plane, was challenging. The young woman beside me in the aisle seat, while pleasant, was focussed on the story she was watching. The gentleman in the window seat, also pleasant, was likewise focussed. So I leaned back in my seat, arms folded, closed my eyes and drifted. I heard different languages spoken in low tones, moms crooning to calm their children and some children not being calmed. Airline attendants strolled the aisle answering calls, bringing us coffee and snacks and checking that seatbelts were buckled. Just before our descent to Victoria airport, the captain came over the loudspeaker to let us know that there would be a bumpy descent and that we should all fasten our seatbelts.  He wasn’t kidding! Within a few minutes, the plane dipped suddenly and rose again to level off. The response from passengers reminded me of cries from a roller coaster on a fair ground, with just a tinge of worry. In that same moment, from my seat, I watched the wings stabilize the plane, restoring balance - just as this weekend has restored my balance and rejuvenated my heart.

“Use the wings of the flying Universe, 
Dream with open eyes:
See in the darkness.”
~ Dejan Stojanovic

No comments: