Pages

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Just Because ~ 1

Aroma of fresh coffee greeted this once young girl as I headed to the shower. Getting ready for the family gathering that had been planned was only a bit of a challenge. At one time, I may have been worried that wrinkles and graying hair would be unwelcome.  But I knew I would have company. I also knew that there would be grand-nieces, nephews and tiny cousins that would not know me. At the restaurant we waited patiently for our table to be ready. It would be set for 22 people! A family gathering that I had not shared, save for a wedding or funeral, in many, many years. Some of my memories, like most of the pictures I snapped, are a bit fuzzy. So sharing the memories and creating new ones brought balance and clarity to my thoughts. 

Our table was in the ballroom filled with round tables all seated with others enjoying their meals. We, however, were at the far end, where several tables end to end and covered in white table clothes, extended almost the width of the ballroom. Little hands holding big hands, we hastened from the ballroom to the brunch buffet and back, plates piled with delicious foods. Breakfast, while important, seemed not so necessary as the visits that spanned years. Swim meets, farming, book groups, degrees, awards and histories of other extended family members in other cities, provinces and out of the country buoyed the conversation. Kids were great, keeping themselves entertained with games of their making - using an app that had them playing charades. It was a lovely, lively morning. My thanks to all for bringing and sharing more joy in this short visit!

“Family is not an important thing, it’s everything.”
~ Michael J. Fox

Thanks to Betty for arranging our reservations - so many back and forth phone calls to confirm and update the numbers!

Thanks to Lori for suggesting the Carriage House Restaurant for the fabulous brunch!

No comments: