Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Danger.....

Worked Detox yesterday and today ~
0700 - bright and early.

What are the rules?

To bed early
Up early

Ensure a minimum of
two to three hours awake and active before driving to work.
Fill this time with
reading (To Kill A Mockingbird on tap)
writing (30 minutes for journalling and mind mapping)
yoga (abbreviated but necessary and welcome)
breakfast
shower

'Keep it low and slow' a friend reminds me.
Minimize and manage stress throughout the day
Enjoy what clients bring to my life
Appreciate smooth give and take of colleagues

To the pub tonight with colleagues for a staff going away party
ginger-ale
thin crisp sweet potato fries

Why do I need rules?

There is danger of
thin ice easily broken,
crashing through my consciousness and my life

drowning
my car and driver's license,
my nursing license,
my clients and colleagues,
my after hours fun,

invading the consciousness of family and friends without respect.

A person's best ally is someone who takes care of herself.”
~ Susan Chavez

6 comments:

Kate Hersberger Moving forward Looking for the Joy! said...

This is so true of for us all. It is not always easy to do this. You have no choice but to make it happen. You are a hero Sue!

Janet said...

Sue, I am SOOO glad you are writing this! You have accomplished so much, quietly and consistently, learning what you need to do, rebounding and moving on, developing those ways that work for you. I echo Kathy, You really are a hero!

Janet said...

This is not really an echo, though, as I have been saying that for several years, including to the Epilepsy Association. Sadly, they are only seriously interested in the research of medics, not in recognizing the heroic and quiet success of people who have risen above this disease through non-medical efforts. That is part of why I admire your continued success, so many people who should realize the amount of dedication your life takes, do not, and yet you, and many others, continue to make your life work, on your own. Congrats!

Susan Ward said...

Thank you Kate. If I can be an helpful example to only one person I will have accomplished so very much. xo

Susan Ward said...

Thank you Jan. It is, and has been, a really rewarding journey to write this blog.

Susan Ward said...

Epilepsy is a disease that gets very little attention - and therefore very few research dollars. It is also such a complex set of disorders that it really does require research to tease out all the why's and where fore's of it. Many of us know that medication isn't the be all and end all of the care for this condition and just proceed in our lives as best we can.
Thank you for appreciating my efforts.