Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Trains have schedules....Epilepsy does not


Riding a train requires buying a ticket. There is no ticket to buy for epilepsy, but it’s not a free ride on this train.

Trains respect the differences of the people aboard. Epilepsy does not respect:
    culture, 
    social mores, or 
    political correctness.....

Trains have engines of hardened metal ~ with finite parts that are (relatively) easy to fix. The human brain is the engine that drives our train ~ soft, a mystery to fathom and difficult (sometimes impossible) to fix.

Trains are vehicles providing a service
The human body is the vehicle for epilepsy.

I had to learn ~
to set my schedule.
learn the price of epilepsy
respect my body's limitations.

I had to learn ~
that while not fixable, 
the epilepsy I carry is manageable.

In short ~ 
I had to learn how to drive the train.

"Sometimes it is necessary to reteach a thing it's
 loveliness.....until it flowers again from within"       
~ Galway Kinnell

Author's note: Edited January 28, 2024

No comments: