Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Nocturnal Epilepsy and the Role of Sleep


Besides idiopathic ~ no known cause
Nocturnal ~ seizures occurring during sleep.
Or ~ within about 20 to 30 minutes after waking up
Or ~ when there was not 
right amount or good quality of sleep.

In the early days of my nursing career, when my sons were little guys and I was a 20 something mom
I decided that working night shifts would be a good thing (remember I didn't want to let my epilepsy affect my work)

And it didn't ~ I just couldn't stay awake on a night shift.
So after 6 months of trying, my doctor and I decided that 
night shifts were not a good thing for me.

Poorly managing my epilepsy for about ten years, my seizures continued.
Realization dawned:
anticonvulsant medication was not the be all and end all of this journey.
Strictness with myself ~ super strictness ~ was the action plan.

- Bed by seven in the evening
- Asleep by nine at night
- Up by five in the morning, 
- Work at seven in the morning.

A bit of overkill for a long time but it worked then ~ still works today. Evening shifts starting at three in the afternoon provided the best sleeping hours for many years.

My good fortune in my career? ~ acquiring nursing positions with only day shifts or evening shifts.

“[S]leep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.”
~ Thomas Dekker

No comments: