Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Propelling me forward in my journey....



....have been family, friends, and acquaintances ~ people I have met along the way have shared valuable life lessons with me. There is only room on this page to share but a few of their stories.

In that first 10 years, my very dear and long deceased brother spoke with me about his struggles with epilepsy ~ the ever growing amount of pills, the seizures, the difficulties. He taught me the 'how not to's'.

I listened to alcoholics recovering from active alcoholism and their  genuine pride in their 'program of recovery'. Stubborn and arrogant, I followed in their recovery footsteps ~ "I'll show them! My disease can 'have a program' too."

I learned humility and that I am also powerless ~ powerless over the fact that I have epilepsy. Humility, and it's daily practice, taught me that I am responsible for each moment of my life.

After a few rough starts, my life became manageable once more.

My young sons, ever there to care for me, when their mother was not willing or able to care for herself, are adults now, knowing that I am willing and able to care for myself ~ and that I do.

For all of you, here on this planet and those gone before.......Thank you for my good health.

"It stands to reason that a change in us will be 
a force for good that will help the entire family."
  ~ How Can I Help My Children?

Author's Note: Edited January 28, 2024

3 comments:

Kate Hersberger Moving forward Looking for the Joy! said...

What a great quote Sue. So true. Bill often thanked me, with tears in his eyes for my recovery journey. He said it was the tipping factor for his.

Anonymous said...

Your sons must be so proud of you, and thankful for you.

Julie

Susan Ward said...

Thank you Julie
And thank you for your continued support with this little project of mine. :)