Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gratitude and a brick wall...


So, there I was,19 years old, in the middle of nurses training, with a budding family at home...

Sitting across the desk from the
Director of the School of Nursing, I was certain that my goal and dream of being a nurse was about to crumble around me.

In 1967, there were still fairly strict standards in Nursing Schools. 
So, with great trepidation, 
I asked the hard question:  
'Am I going to have to leave school?'

Relief flooded me with the Director's next words:
'As long as your epilepsy doesn't affect your work you don't have to worry about it.'

Because of those words, for which I have been forever grateful, 
I have maintained a modest nursing career spanning over four decades.
My family continued to grow ~ I now have two grown sons and one grandson. I love them and am so very proud of them ~ and like any mom I worry about all three of them.

Now, a reality check for every one: Not all those diagnosed with epilepsy are as fortunate. Many have epilepsy beginning in infancy, toddlerhood, childhood, teen years...... at any stage of learning and development. These unfortunate individuals have immense barriers at the start, completion and advancement of education, career development, let alone maintaining steady employment. 

Some (the present rate is 14%) do not develop epilepsy until after age 65 in the so-called golden years, impacting any independence that may have been achieved.

Am I grateful?  You bet I am!

“He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things 
he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.”
~ Epictetus

Author's Note: Edited January 28, 2024

No comments: