Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Taming the Meadow.....


...... the meadow that spreads through my back yard.
Daffodils, once bright yellow and strong, now have browning edges.
Grape hyacinths - great bunches in the corner by the shed - lightly perfume the air.
Grasses of many varieties, grow tall and strong, beautiful in their disarray.
The camellia bush, full of fading fuschia flowers, also browning, are still beautiful

The sun was warm, sky deep blue.  If there were clouds I must have missed them.
Tuning out traffic noise, 
listening to bird song and buzzing flies,
eyes roving over the clutter of flowers, grasses, and weeds ~
my yard became a beautiful meadow in spring.

Despite walking through my ‘meadow’,
and sitting in the warm sun,
almost all promises to myself were kept.
  • an early morning conference call
  • meeting notes
  • made chicken soup
  • candied some ginger
  • made my lunches and suppers for the next four shifts
  • did up all the dishes as I went
  • cut the grass at the front and began on the ‘meadow’
  • pulled some weeds.

With lighted hearted good humour, 
stepping carefully, and 
with a little imagination,
my feet carry me anywhere.
It has been a lovely day.

“The imagination is man’s power over nature.”
~ Wallace Stevens

No comments: