Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Letter to a 'Soccer' Mom


Hi Cheyenne,

You may not remember me. I was one of your nurses when you were only thirty-four and in a drug treatment center for the first time. I think of you often and finally decided to write.

How are you? I guess you would be about 57 years old now! I remember you today as distinctly as I did then. How are all those kids? Grown and off on their own I’m sure. You were an ordinary soccer mom with six kids with a loving, and very patient, husband. Ashamed and crying because of the mess that you had made of your life.

You told me your addiction all started with the pain pills your doctor prescribed after some major, and very necessary, surgery. You described how your life slowly unravelled and ultimately spiraled out of control. Out of control for you meant draining the family’s bank accounts and lying to the family about so very many things, while trying to keep the ‘good mom’ cover from slipping. You did get yourself and your family in a pretty rocky place!

I remember so clearly how you cried and almost wanted to die. You told me that what you really wanted was to get control of your life again. The crying slowed and your green eyes met mine when I asked, if you had known your fate, would you have taken that first pill. “Of course not.” was your adamant and firm reply. From then on, you worked hard at cleaning up the mess that threatened to consume your life.

Because of how hard you worked, and how clear you were in your intention to move forward, I can’t help but think that you are maybe even a grandmother now, gathering all of your children and grandchildren to you. You told me how the power of addiction stripped you of your maternal instinct to love, protect and instruct. All the staff watched as you pushed the power of addiction away and pulled your own power back ~ for you and for your family.

Hope all continues well with you and yours,
Take good care, 
Susan

No one is immune from addiction; it afflicts people
of all ages, races, classes and professions.”
~ Patrick J. Kennedy

No comments: