Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Spinning A Yarn


Spinning A Yarn

I often saw Joe and Bill sitting on the same park bench that looked out on the old stone bridge each time I walked through the park. Most times, I didn’t hear any of their conversation. Today, the afternoon was so calm and clear that I decided to lie on the grass before they had arrived. Watching strands and puffs of white cloud drift by, my eyes closed, shaded against summer sunshine by my wide brimmed sunhat. I was enjoying the warm summer's day. Their voices drifted closer as they reached their favourite park bench.

We all lived in the same condo complex only two blocks from that part of the park. Joe and his wife were on the fifth floor, Bill and his wife on the seventh floor and I was in the middle on the sixth floor. I was aware of their decades long friendship, that they retired about the same time, and one afternoon a week went lawn bowling in the summer. That was only a tiny part of their routine. Each day of the week had some other activity - the Legion, bridge, line dancing with their wives, shuffle board at the Senior’s center and volunteering at the local soup kitchen. I had gotten to know many of their stories, but what I was to learn next disturbed me. I suppose I should have said something but was too drowsy to move.

~~~~~

“Shh.... don’t wake her up.  We’ll just visit quietly.”

“OK.  Did you see those druggies at the soup kitchen today?  I’m sure I saw a deal go down right after those two ragged, rough looking guys sat at their table.”

“I sure did - and the women! All painted up and tarted up! They were sure getting their’s for free. I’d bet on that one and one other - they’re all addicts that we deal with.”

“Say - did you get to the pharmacy today? I missed going and I’m out of those painkillers the doc’s got me on. I’m sure he’s not giving me enough. They just don’t work like they used to.”

“No, and I may not have to this week. I’ve got what you need right here. You can pay me later.”

“How come? Is your back better? I know you have to take something so you can bowl and dance.”

“Let’s just say I have a friend that can supply me with the same pain killers whenever I need them. I’m not going to tell you anything more, because I don’t want to get this friend in trouble.”

“Well you tell your friend ‘thank you’ for me cause I sure didn’t know how I was going to sleep tonight.”

“What time is it? Aren’t we meeting the women at the coffee shop and then going out to supper?”

“Fiddlesticks! We’re going to be late - let’s skedaddle and leave that young lady to her nap.”

“Once you label me you negate me.”
~ Soren Kierkegaard

No comments: