Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My Brothers's Lunch Box


My brother’s lunch box, a tangible memory, has our names scratched on top, one length wise and one cross wise. Several years apart in age we shared history of school lunches of sandwiches wrapped in wax paper handmade in the kitchen at the farm.

Generations of brothers and sisters have since passed through many schools. School lunches from cafeterias and vending machines have become the norm along with colourful lunch bags and kits or just plain brown paper bags.

Visual communication with my own school days in this old, dented green and white lunch pail, now filled with bobbins, thread and sewing supplies, reminds me of how my big brother and I shared our experiences from an early age and then later on in life in a very unexpected way.

Sharing began with school lunches and continued with shared epilepsy when we were older and adult in life, discussing symptoms, medications, and life’s limitations.

Was scratching our names on the same lunch pail an innocent prescient of what was later to be?

“If you can look into the seeds of time, and say which grain
will grow and which will not, speak then unto me.”
~ William Shakespeare”

No comments: