Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Variations on Theme ~ THEME - Theme for June 2014

Themes - I’ve been using a separate theme each month for quite some time now. However, I  have never really looked at what a theme is or what it needs to be for the writing that I do. So I decided the other day, that I’d really better look at the concept of theme. In general, words I have written, whether poetry, opinion, muse or story, need to be put together in some sort of order so that it may not really be a story, but has some of the quality of story, and while not really an academic piece is solid and informative. So, to develop this concept, this month my theme will be ‘theme’ so that I can find out how much of each to include.

The theme of this day, July 1, 2014, is patriotism and celebration. A birthday celebration for the country of Canada now 147 years old. (Is that the country or the confederation?) This birthday is a holiday for Canadian citizens, and any visitors, decorated in a red and white flag, song, speeches and fireworks. Is another theme, development and growth?

Each of us has a theme to our lives. We may not really be aware of what that theme is, however if we look closely we should see that we go about our lives a certain way. And that there is more than one theme to our lives - our families and how our families function, our communities and the organization of the community, our countries and how our countries stand in relationship to the rest of the world. 

Some of my studies about theme is with this TEDTalk by Andrew Stanton.

“Ultimately, your theme will find you. 
You don’t have to go looking for it.”
~ Richard Russo

No comments: