Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

It's Not My Job

It’s not my job
then who’s job is it
in the space between my job and your job
between our job and someone else’s job.
When a job needs doing, 
do we wait, 
simmering with resentment,
until that nebulous someone 
comes in to do what really is only ‘their’ job?

Definitions, schedules,
guidelines, rules and regulations.
Boxes of smoky nothingness.
Expectations and outcomes suffer the outrage of blame
working with people
providing a service
building a foundation
called upon to extend ourselves
outside the box if only for the sake
of helping out that nebulous someone else
collaborating for jobs well done.

Individual recovery may not be my job.
My job to support recovery for individuals
definitely is my job.

“Until the great mass of the people shall be filled
with the sense of responsibility for each other’s welfare,
social justice can never be attained.”
~ Helen Keller

No comments: