Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

A Second Opinion

As my pupils dilated out to the rims of my iris letting light stream in unchecked, everything around me blurred - light was sharp and cruel.
Glossy magazines with headlines and stories ~ just so much Drs. Office decoration.

Leaving the office into a bright blue sky morning pained me.
Not a sharp stabbing pain in my eyes, but in my heart
I absolutely love the sun on my face.
To avoid the stark glare, I had to turn my face away from the sky and the sun, 
cowering in bits of shade that buildings, bus stops and trees afforded ~ and that was with my deeply tinted sunglasses on. 

My ‘inner child’ wanted to pout, stamp her little feet and say ‘it’s not fair!’

My ‘inner grown-up’ mused on all the things our eyes show us and are so taken for granted ~
Being able hold a book but not read and trace the shapes of story through a myriad of words.
Being able to feel the warmth of the sun but not see the wide blue sky, streaming, mountainous or puffs of clouds and soaring birds.
Being able to hear sounds of a street busker but not see the musician bent over and strumming her guitar while she sings.
Being able to hold yarn and a crochet hook but not see the colour of the yarn, the shape of the stitches making an afghan, scarf or slippers.

My ‘inner child’ hushed and my ‘inner grown-up’ was grateful for my 'specs', for physician’s that remove cataracts and for the beauty of our world.

“Of all the senses, sight must be the most delightful.”
~ Helen Keller


No comments: