Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Book Review - The Piano Shop on the Left Bank: Discovering a Forgotten Passion in a Paris Atelier by Thad Carhart

A delightful book! I took a trip into a Paris neighbourhood and learned more about pianos ~ and piano lessons ~ than that they are just big pieces of furniture to practice piano lessons on. That is what my pianos have been for me. After reading this lovely tale, I am aware that they also have been much more.Thad Carhart shared with us his story about coming across this obscure little shop, his love of music and his love of piano weaving the details expertly into this real life story. 

When I began reading this small book, I did not really know it was non-fiction, but when a book is suggested and offered, I will read it because I like to read stories of all kinds. I believe in story and I believe in the music of pianos. Beginning with the title, The Piano Shop on the Left Bank, lovely black and white keys on the cover beneath, I kept interested and intrigued. It wasn’t until further on in the book when the narrator spoke of a character with the same name as the author that the light was turned up brightly revealing that this book was a beautiful creation of non-fiction. Thad Carhart led us bit by bit into the back room, the atelier, where used pianos were brought, dissembled and transformed into the beautiful musical instruments they had once been. Grand pianos, short pianos, tall pianos, antique pianos ~ even a piano said to be at least played by Beethoven. Thad Carhart took us into the atelier when Luc, the owner, invited him into his sanctuary. There he learned what types of woods are the best to use for the cabinet, that all pianos have a slightly different tone and feel, and the reason behind specific design - and that pianos seem to choose their owners.

“I wanted to love this piano. I wanted to invite music back into my life.”
~ Thad Carhart, The Piano Shop on the Left Bank: 
Discovering a Forgotten Passion in a Paris Atelier


No comments: