Pages

Monday, September 21, 2015

Another Prairie Highlight

Yesterday evening, I did promise to tell you about my trip to the Mackenzie Art Gallery in Regina. My sister Janet and I left the Nurses’ reunion we were attending to join our sister Kate at this outstanding gallery. My words seem very inadequate tonight. The image I have used to accompany this post is of the Qu’Appelle Valley, rather than trying to capture the wonderful works of art that we viewed.

Our trip into the Gallery was to see the Drs. Morris and Jacqui Shumiatcher Art Collection. This private collection was phenomenal in size and variety. The entirety of the collection was not on display and yet what was on display filled at least two large room with paintings and with sculptures. Norval Morriseau, Kenneth Lochhead and Allen Sapp are only three of the artists featured in this collection. Inuit art was featured prominently. Trusting in art and artists as an important part of any culture, the late Dr. Morris Shumiatcher and his wife, Dr. Jacqui Shumiatcher, collected a variety of exquisite art and are now sharing it with the patrons and visitors to the Mackenzie Art Gallery.

As part of my trip to my home province, this was a special visit. Being with family while viewing such an amazing collection of Saskatchewan talent and artistry was another highlight to my short visit home.

“A country’s greatness is measured, not by 
the uniformity of its people, but by their diversity.”
~ Dr. Morris Shumiatcher, 1940

No comments: