Pages

Friday, October 14, 2016

Dogs Just Want to Have Fun

At Spanish Beach in August - in nice weather.
This post is the assigned topic  for today's Writer's Ink group - write a story from an animals perspective. I chose dogs because I was following the directive - write what you know. I only wrote this about an hour before group time so it's pretty loose. Stream of consciousness, it has only been edited a bit.  

Dogs Just Want to Have Fun

"Hello. My name is Misty. I’ve been quite nervous about this presentation so please forgive me if I break out in canine secret language of bark, bark - woof, woof. If I get too nervous, it will only be a whine and my big brown eyes will look beseechingly for some sympathy.

Did you know that we dogs can’t carry umbrellas? Unless we’ve been dressed in a rain cape, we get absolutely soaked in weather like this when we’re outside. The little dogs have the advantage. They just get popped in a purse out of the rain. By the way, my vocabulary is quite good. Now we dogs do love going for walks. After all we were built for fun, travelling through the scents that you humans leave behind, swimming in any depth of water or visiting with the other dogs in the neighbourhood. But the most fun I have is when I’m soaking wet. So the rain is an extra treat. Especially when I don’t have a rain cape on. After a good swim, we shake off and fling water all over and watch in absolute glee as you humans dash out of the line of spray. In these Victoria winters, when beach walks have been banned, a good rain, like the downpour today, makes me quiver all over. In my determination to go for a lovely soaking walk and to get my owner outside in the rain, I whined just so and dragged my leash down off the door handle just so we could get wet together. And that’s why I accepted this invitaton to speak to you in your language.

Thank you for your attention."

“Dogs are often happier than men simply because 
the simplest of things are the greatest things for them.”
~ Mehmet Murat ildan

No comments: