Pages

Friday, December 9, 2016

Hope: A Small Risk

soothing, cool and wet encloses my whole body 
pulling my hair gently back 
combing it with watery fingers away from my face, drifting like sea weed from my scalp, bouyant as long as I hold my breath
~ an edge of panic calls ‘oxygen!’ 
to creep past the desire to go deeper, to swim 
with fish and waving plantlife
pushing to the surface 
breaking into the real world
children playing and splashing
bright light over the water’s surface
underwater is another world 
outside of the square slick world of tiles.
deep breath of inside air fills my lungs
once more diving into the watery other world 
hoping to return from whence I came
avoiding the noisy world above the water line. 
underwater is both freeing and dangerous.  
a small risk for me 
compared to high divers and marathon swimmers
a risk I am willing to take in the safety of a swimming pool.

“The reward is in the risk.”
~ Rachel Cohn, Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares

No comments: