Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2017

In Memory of Stuart McLean, Canada's Storyteller (April 19, 1048 - February 15, 2017)

Until I heard the sad news that Stuart McLean had died, I had been struggling to know what I’d write about tonight. It did take me a bit to make the connection with this month’s theme of fun. Since 1994, Stuart McLean has regaled the country, and via the internet, people around the world with fun and humour. Every story, when I’ve listened to his rolling, expressive voice, brought smiles, and many time outright laughter to me. Even on days when things weren’t going so great. Stuart impressed me with his obvious kindness and openness to his audiences, his rambles throughout communities before his shows and gentle way with all ages of people. The Arthur Awards were always fascinating. My copy of an edition of Stories from the Vinyl Cafe has been pulled from my book shelf and will be my bedtime reading for the next couple of weeks. Rest in Peace, Stuart and thank you for the fun you brought into all of our lives.

“After a while, each death feels like all the deaths, 
and you stand there like everyone else has stood there before you, 
while the big wind of sadness blows around and through you.”
~ Stuart McLean, (from a Dave and Morley story)

No comments: