Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Photograph

Also from Writer's Group on Friday afternoon, this piece was a bit difficult for me. I think I got the time line a bit skewed, however we were given ten minutes to write. We each pulled an old photograph from a bag of photographs and only had a minute or so to look at it before the timer started and pens landed on paper! (I did do a bit of editing. Still needs more!)

The Photograph

I absolutely loved my hat! Standing under the tree on the prairie, I felt quite glamourous. Ordinarily I was in the kitchen kneading bread or scrubbing clothes on the wash board. I did put my hands in my pockets for the photograph. I had fallen for the devilishly handsome young man who was to have his photograph taken next. We met at The Strawberry Social in the small town we both lived in. I was shy and didn’t say much, but had hoped he would like the Shortcake I had made. Later in the day, as he was leaving, he asked if he could call on me. I hesitated only a second before saying ‘yes’. 

‘Come for tea on Sunday afternoon if that is a good time for you. My mother and father will be home and would love to meet you.’ 

‘I have met your father in town at the machine shop. He is a kind man. I’ll be pleased to meet your mother.’

I gathered my things up and, as properly as possible, hurried home to tell my mother of the invitation I had extended for Sunday. I had not expected to have so much fun that day.  Before going to the Social, mother brought out the beautiful hat that she had worn when she met my father.

‘It looks lovely on you dear, but you must remember to hide your hands!’

“A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into.”
~ Ansel Adams

No comments: