Pages

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Free and Clear

I had my chance and took it. The lineup went around the corner of the old red brick building. White hair, brown hair, purple hair, braids, bobs, dreadlocks and plain stringy hair. I approached the lineup warily, uncertain of what was attracting the men and women heads bowed to iPhones, with pack backs, briefcases and purses. ‘Let’s stay outside’ A disembodied voice drifted on the cool early evening air. What was going on? Was I in the right place? I checked the address I had received against the address on the building. It was right. But where were the signs? There. Up on the wall. A slim blue sign with little letters. Elections BC. As the line shuffled forward to the corner of the building another sign, square and black with red lettering Vote here. ‘Anyone with a voter’s card?’ Hands went up waving voter’s cards. We moved to the head of the line directed into a gymnasium. People milled about finding their place. Tables set up around the room manned by volunteers checked needed ID. At table 53, I showed my voter’s card and ID. I had my ballot. The voter’s booth cleared. X marked the spot. I returned my folded ballot to the volunteer. He removed a tag and returned my ballot to me. I slipped it into the ballot box and moved easily through the crowd out into the cool evening air. The walk home was free and clear.

“Democracy is not just the right to vote, it is the right to live in dignity.”
 ~ Naomi Klein, Canadian journalist

No comments: