Pages

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The Best Umbrella

Chocolate cake with a delicious filling!
It is seldom that I have an opportunity to see and meet with an entire community team. Let me back  up. The Umbrella Society has outreach workers that we at Detox see usually on a daily basis. But only one at a time. They may see one of our shared clients, or two or three. And then we each go on with our work to care for those that still suffer from active substance use.

Tonight I attended the Umbrella Annual General Meeting as an interested observer. A very interested observer. So many of the folks we care for at Detox have been supported and worked with by the dedicated team from the Umbrella Society. Beginning with one man founding this society and growing into a team of 15 outreach workers, this organization meets people outside of any barriers. I believe the words are ‘meeting people where they are at.’

With each passing year, the name Umbrella has more and more meaning. Today I had the opportunity, the very rare opportunity, to see the team. The team that makes up the spokes of this ever growing Umbrella. Men and women that have faith in the human heart and the ability of their clients to achieve success within sobriety. And for that, Umbrella has my deepest and sincerest gratitude.

Go to their webpage: umbrellasociety.ca and learn what their programs are, and if you choose, how you can participate.

(And the cake was delicious!)

“I didn’t invent the rainy day. I just own the best umbrella.”
~ Jimmy Fallon

No comments: