Pages

Friday, August 11, 2017

The Next Day

On the next leg of my little vacation, my sons drove me to Moose Jaw from Regina, Saskatchewan. Driving with my sons and grand dogs is always a treat. Driving the prairies only makes it more wonderful. They did me a great kindness!

I’ve heard many comments over the years about the prairies. Flat. Boring. You can see your dog running away for miles. And so many other comments. Yes there are places where the landscape is boring and uninteresting, but to me the sky is always grand. Farther down the highway, the landscape is ruffled by trees that surround distant farm yards. These short tree lines break the force of the steady winds and the unending flatness of the prairie. At this time of year, fields growing green, will ripen and turn to gold. Some fields are already ready for harvest. Along the highway, bright wildflowers challenge the vastness with their colours.

In Moose Jaw, I met with my sister, Kate. We went for lunch and a lovely browse through the Yvette Moore gallery. A spur of the moment mani-pedi occupied that next couple of hours. Relaxing with tea while being ministered to at Wrapture Spa and Gifts we came away with painted toenails and fingernails. After some quiet time in the afternoon, it was supper time and the beginnings of family time. Family members are slowly gathering at the Heritage Hotel for the wedding taking place tomorrow evening. Now the evening closes, as the prairie sky grows dark and the wispy clouds disappear into the night.

“The greatest thing in this world is not so much where
 we stand as in what direction we are moving.”
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Author's note: Minor editing February 11, 2024

No comments: