Pages

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Climate Change

I bought a sunflower today
it’s sitting on my patio table
in the dark and the cold
I kind of feel that way sometimes
sitting out in the cold and the dark 
but it’s my own cold and my own dark
I am responsible for keeping warm and turning the lights on
but if I can’t keep warm, if I forget, 
let icicles drip from my nose
bump into walls because it’s too dark
my feet turn into blocks of ice,
stub my toes when I walk past a chair
goose bumps sprout up and down my arms
and I knock tissues to the floor searching for them
I’d better pay attention
~ brighten up my perspective
go find my sweater, put on my socks
walk my hands along the wall to the light switch,
to step out 
     in the warm, warm sunshine
          to find the hugs that share warmth and light

“If the world seems cold to you, kindle fires to warm it.”
~ Lucy Larcom, author 
(March 05,1824 - April 17,1893)

No comments: