Pages

Sunday, November 5, 2017

A Hallowe'en Surprise

Challenging old beliefs that I just couldn’t follow through, I have learned that I can change up my home routines successfully. Like writing and posting a blog post early in the morning rather than racing to the last second before midnight.  However, I didn’t take into consideration that I was going to be playing in the kitchen most of the day, getting a few more groceries and doing some last minute vacuuming. I hosted a birthday party this evening for a good friend. Our small group of six gets together to share each other’s birthdays every couple of months for the last about 13-ish years.

But I’ve accepted the challenge I set for myself in 2011: write and post once each 24 hours. Started out for only one year, and I’ve kind of gone a bit longer than that. So here I am, at 1140 pm pounding the keys.

Yesterday I was with my writing group - also a group of long time friends. Our ten minute exercise was to write from the stem of a phrase.  We each drew a slip of paper with the stem on it.  Mine was:  ‘I couldn’t believe my eyes…….” . Here it is!

A Hallowe’en Surprise!
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her. She was dressed in a gold and red satin gown. A blue silk pashmina covered her shoulders, draping gently down her back. Stiletto heels in a rainbow of colours to match. Most days she was just my mom's secretary that came to the house where they worked on proposals and contracts and business things. She answered the telephone and planned meetings. I thought that she would never be very much fun and that brown was her favourite colour. Brown sweaters and slacks. Brown shoes and brown jackets. Even her hair was brown and pulled tightly back in a non-descript bun. Now here she was at her front door cackling and laughing handing out popcorn balls and candy. I don't think I'll ever see her in the same way again.

“If you had started doing anything two weeks ago, 
by today you would have been two weeks better at it.”
~ John Mayer

No comments: