Pages

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Seeking Depth

Someone once said that boredom is when one is calm and contented. I’ve never recognized it as that, although when I think about it, there could be some truth to that statement. We spend our days busy doing things. Important work, important play, taking care of others, doing the mundane things at home to keep body and soul in one piece. In general not really sitting still for very long.

There is an energy inside of each of us that wants us to be active, busy. Shouldn’t there be something we should be doing?  Am I the only person to feel this edge of busyness? If we were to allow calmness and being content to be a focus in our days, there can be rewards reaped not considered before. Being calm gathers our energy to do the things we enjoy, to be productive in our work. Being content creates an aura that we bring with us as we move through our lives. Plumbing the depths of the idea that we are bored because we have no place to run, puts a different perspective on day-to-day activities.

Yesterday, I rearranged my bedroom furniture to be more pleasing. Today I made a delicious soup, just from ingredients in my own home. I’m going for a walk this afternoon to honour some of my new found energy. There are so many other things that filled the in-between moments tossed away as mundane. As I read this last paragraph, even I feel the urge to say that I haven't done enough or been busy enough.

“Boredom is the conviction that you
 can’t change…the shriek of unused capacities.”
~ Saul Bellow,  The Adventures of Augie March


No comments: