Pages

Friday, April 6, 2018

An InDepth Survey

This morning’s post is a writing assignment for this afternoon’s writing group. I thought long and hard about this piece. Having left it to the last minute, I struggled and pulled my hair out to write it. An unfortunate habit of mine. It was kind of fun though. My laptop is still on stress leave so the picture I have chosen will only show on my Facebook page. Here is: 

An InDepth Survey
I conducted a research project this morning. There was no control group. In fact there was no group. The only subject of this research was myself. I challenged myself to listen to one of my music CD’s to prove my theory. There were actually two potential topics to write about for today. Bounce and/or your favourite song. Thinking about a favourite song, the voice of my favourite musician, Louis
Armstrong, echos in my mind. His throaty, yet soft voice. The song? What a Wonderful World, the song that opens his CD, All-time Greatest Hits, is far from bouncy. Instead it is gentle, flowing  and hopeful. It smooths any frazzled fragments in my mind poking holes in even the sunniest of days. 

I’ve never been a great dancer, except at home when no one is there to watch. My home dance steps moved from a flowing waltz to a bouncy rhythm with each song. Imagined costuming for each dance was important, changing from a pastel Ginger Rogers satin gown to a sparkling, flowing Carmen Miranda gown complete with elaborate head dress! My research was complete. I had proven definitively that my favourite song is What a Wonderful World, followed by any other Louis Armstrong songs. An unexpected finding from this survey is the bounce and rhythm of my other favourite singer, Bing Crosby, in a duet with Louis singing ‘Gone Fishin’. Their music, and most other music genres, are the ribbons woven through our lives with rhythm and colour.
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. 
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
~ Albert Einstein

No comments: